Code-Highlight

Sunday 13 January 2013

#some maya plugin

Recently I spent most of my time finishing up my small Maya-Plugin. To support my group project I decided in december to do a small static mesh exporter for Three.js' JSON-Format. After finishing the prototype using Mayas Command API and xform, I noticed that these tools are simply not suitable for a processing and computing intense task. Every export of an average-poly model took over 2 minutes, so I was looking for another way to implement the exporter. Since the coursework was intended for python scripting or animation, I decided not to write a C-Plugin for Maya, but noticed that the C API is exposed to Python as well. After rewriting the plugin using the Maya API I was finally able to debug the last leftover bugs and polished the plugin.